Wednesday, February 19, 2014
I chose to read the article in Chapter Six titled "Devices Enforce Silence of Cellphones, Illegally." In the article, author Matt Richtel discusses a device, the jammer, that cuts off cellphone transmission within a certain radius of the device. He talks about an architect who was using public transit and was disrupted by a passenger talking loudly on her cellphone. He decided to use his jammer, thus leading to the lady being cut off from her phone call. He also talks with a man who sells the jammers online. In the U.S. jammers are illegal because the radio frequencies used by cellphone carriers are protected. My personal opinion when it comes to cellphone jammers is I don't think they should be legal. Cellphones are very common and yes, listening to someone else's conversations isn't pleasant, however, I think it is unnecessary to cut off cellphone transmission. Someone around you could be on a very important call with a doctor or a family member and cutting off their line would be unfair to them. If you ever come in counter with a loud talker, I think it's best you politely ask them to quiet down or just try to ignore it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment